Thursday 30 December 2010

12th Continental Regiment


The name I have given to this unit is quite random. I had some Eureka Miniatures "Marbleheaders" left over from when I painted the 14th Continentals three years ago. That unit was in firing line poses and Eureka also make a charging figure. I had a few of these in the leadpile and decided to combine them with figures from the Foundry charging Continentals pack to made another 1776 Continental Army regiment. Due to the Eureka figures' dress of sailors trousers I needed to find a regiment that recruited from coastal communities. Perusing Mollo I found the 6th Continentals which fitted the bill perfectly.....apart from the fact that I'd forgotten that I painted them back in April last year. As I'd already painted a few of the figures by the time I realised this, I needed to find another Massachusetts regiment that was also thought to have been uniformed in brown faced red coats - hence the 12th Continentals. In fact, I didn't look very far as the 12th are illustrated on the same page of Mollo as the 6th.

For the flag I have used one from "Flag Dude", which I understand is based on a flag captured at the battle of Long Island. If correct, the flag seems suitable for a 1776 regiment and in any event I thought the red and yellow colours blended in well with the regiment's uniforms. The Eureka figures are clearly more slender than the Foundry ones; the faces in particular are more angular. But I think the two lines fit well together and I'm pleased to have found a use for the Marbleheader figures beyond the 14th Continentals.

18 figures. Painted November/December 2010. Flag by "Flag Dude".



9 comments:

Andy McMaster said...

Another nice unit, Giles. Always good to see more AWI from you. Have a great 2011!
Andy

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Another nice looking unit Giles.Have a wonderful 2011 and looking forward to seeing more of your great work!

Cheers
Christopher

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Lovely - the flag suits them to a tee... have a good 2011!

Anonymous said...

Lovely work Giles. Happy New Year and the very best to you.

Helen

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Love the paint job and the bayonet attack poses. Well done.

Happy New Year. Here's to another healthy year for you and yours and many good nights at the painting table enjoying the hobby.

Doc Smith said...

Another nice job Giles - have a great 2011!

Cheers,
Doc

AD said...

More terrific and inspiring minis. Thanks for sharing your work!

Bluewillow said...

lovely Giles, good to see you using up left overs to make up regiments. I really like the flag also!


cheers
matt

ZombyDawg said...

Colonel Moses Little's regiment. My great, great, great, great grandfather Caleb Haskell, Jr. was in Captain Ezra Lunt's Company in the 12th until his enlistment ran out in August '75. He stayed with the unit in Cambridge until he enlisted in Captain Samuel Ward's company to go to Quebec with Arnold. He was 21 years old at the Battle of Bunker Hill.